I was struggling with my huge to-do lists which never get ticked more than 50%. It was frustrating when we are managing multiple teams, client accounts, and important developmental work. And when frustration mounts, it can even lead to an existential dilemma, which is, a serious problem! Then I read about Time Blocking, a technique used by smart people. Because we have the Zeigarnik Effect in what we do- it says – people always remember uncompleted tasks better than completed ones. This can lead to stress. Whereas time-blocking helps us to ensure that our available time is being allotted most optimally.
It works like this:
1. We are dividing total time allotted to work, say 6 hours into 20-time blocks. And each time-block of 20 minutes will be used to intensely do something – without distraction (no phone). It is called the Zen moment at work.
2. If you have bigger tasks, we call the time-block a power hour (it is a 90 min block with zero distraction) to achieve something important.
3. Schedule more time you need. This can help to give quality time to your work. You work deserves your best.
4. Use a paper a pen (I prefer that way) than a mobile phone to do time-blocking – though there are many apps for it.
5. We are using the power of present moment to do the work – than worrying about past or being anxious about future.
6. No interruptions, no distraction, no internet – TIME BLOCK – to do things at 5X pace.
7. While you TIME BLOCK – take into consideration your high energy times to take care of most complicated tasks.